The capacity of a dormitory is determined by two factors:
- The number of beds within the room.
- The number of tiles the room takes up, divided by 4.
For example, a dormitory that is 3x4 can hold a maximum of 3 prisoners (assuming there is at least 3 beds in the cell) - if there are 4 beds available in the cell (e.g. two bunk beds), the maximum occupancy is still 3 (as (3 * 4) / 4 == 3).
Dormitories are a great way to cheaply increase the capacity of your prison, allowing large numbers of prisoners to be confined to a relatively small space. It is also more cost effective to add televisions, workout benches, or other optional items to the cell as one item can be shared between several prisoners.
The downside of dormitories is that the cramped conditions can anger prisoners if their need for privacy isn't satisfied. The high prisoner density also makes them more dangerous if and when fights do break out. It should go without saying that vulnerable prisoners such as snitches or ex-cops should never be kept in dormitories.
Like cells, dormitories are graded based on quality. Quality factors for a dormitory take into account the number of prisoners in the cell- multiple items are needed to increase the quality of a large dormitory and it does increase privacy needs like holding cells.
This was added in the 2nd update in version 1.
- Minimum size: 2x3
- Enclosed (surrounded by walls and doors)
- Bed / Bunk Bed
Tips, Tricks, and Hints Edit
- You should not have a whole prison with dormitories, as the privacy need can only be lowered by the prisoners having individual cells. Don't use these as substitutes, no matter the size the privacy need is triggered.
- Put Metal Detectors and Dog Handlers around your dormitory due to the fact that prisoners can help each other more easily with escape attempts, doing this will lower the chance of people escaping.
- Having a dormitory over 12 squares for each prisoner will not have their privacy increase, making you have to put it at least to 12 squares to let it not rise and make them angry.
- Making a dormitory minimum security helps by letting you not have any killers with a snitch or an ex law.