Fence is one of the four types of walls, the others being:
- A fence around the perimeter of the map can provide a cheap final measure to keep escaped prisoners in.
- A fence is not as stable as a wall, which means more warmth will be let out by a fence which cools down your prison.
- Fence was formerly a type of border element.
- It was free to place until alpha 23, where it was changed to $3 a square.
- Because Fence is a material, it is impossible to change dirt texture under the fence.
- As of Alpha 34, fences no longer slow down prisoners digging an escape tunnel.
- As of Alpha 36 there is a random event that can occur where a random section of around 5-12 fences will break.
- Just like with walls contraband can still be thrown over if it's within 10 tiles of the border.