Needs in Prison Architect illustrate what prisoner or prisoners need to behave, not try to escape, and be happy. A Psychologist is required to access this information. There are two types of Needs: the Needs tab which can be found under Reports; and a small list which can by found by hovering with a mouse over a prisoner.
The Needs tab shows a bar chart that combines every prisoner by their need. Each bar has following colours:
Prisoners with orange or red needs will increase a prison's danger level, and may incite riots.
The small list when mouse is hovered over a prisoner shows only needs of that particular prisoner. If there are no needs, prisoner is completely happy. Plus signs indicate how much the prisoner wants that need. If a need is written in capitalized letters, or there are 10 plus signs, this need is completely unfulfilled, and is considered a critical need.
|Need||Need increasing factors||Reducing the need||Time to reduce the need||Notes|
|Bladder||No toilet||Toilet||Any time|
|Sleep||Not sleeping||Bed||Sleep||Persisting high sleep need may be a sign of a prisoner digging an Escape Tunnel|
|Food||Goes up by itself||Canteen||Eat||high food needs can provoke riots.|
|Exercise||Take exercise of the regime||Yard|
|Freedom||lockdown.||decreases every day||Freetime||High freedom need and a digging item prompts a prisoner to dig an escape tunnel|
- Bladder - Can be decreased by using a toilet.
- Bowels - Can be decreased by using a toilet.
- Sleep - Can be decreased by sleeping in the bed.
- Food - Can be decreased by eating. Prisoners health will decrease gradually if this need has been ignored over time.
- Safety - Can be decreased by preventing incidents.
- Hygiene - Can be decreased by taking a shower.
- Exercise - Can be decreased by exercising in yard or on a weights bench.
- Family - Can be decreased by using a phone or when visiting a prisoner in a Visitation room.
- Comfort - Can be decreased by sitting down on a chair or a bench, or while sleeping.
- Recreation - Can be decreased by using a TV or a pool table.
- Environment - Can be decreased by having clean surroundings (cleaned indoors by janitors or prisoners assigned to cleaning duty and outdoors by gardeners)
- Privacy - Can be decreased by providing a cell for every prisoner.
- Freedom - A measure of how much a prisoner wants to escape. Freedom decreases by itself every day. It increases during lockup.
- Clothing - Can be decreased by recieving clean uniforms from the Laundry job.