A Solitary Cell is a specialized cell designed to suppress prisoners as a punishment for misbehaviour in the prison.
Prisoners entering the Solitary Cell will enter handcuffed and will not be able to use some facilities.
As of Alpha 31, a prisoner placed in solitary will be fed when a guard or cook drops off a tray of food in the cell (to prevent starvation). This is made possible by researching micromanagement and by assigning solitary cells to a canteen.
Wardens can set when prisoners can be punished with solitary confinement by the Policy screen, and individual prisoners can be assigned to solitary by clicking on them and selecting the appropriate punishment option.
- Minimum size 1x1
- Enclosed on all sides by walls or doors
- Do not include space under the doors
In Alpha 10, there was a bug in which doors for Solitary Cell doors won't close automatically, allowing prisoners to escape. This was rectified as of Alpha 11, and as of Alpha 28, prisoners cannot escape cells through any other means than a tunnel via the toilet.
Tips and Tricks Edit
- Suppression is maxed at about 2 hours, so unless a prisoner is especially disruptive, any further solitary confinement is useless.
- For a less ethical warden, a troublesome prisoner locked in solitary behind a permanently locked door will die.
- Solitary cells do not have to be indoors, so wardens may construct them as walled outdoor spaces to save money on foundations.
- If all prisoners in your prison are assigned to individual cells (i.e. not dormitories), it is recommended that solitary be reserved for escape attempts and in turn, remove toilets from all solitary cells.